Calling on all tumblrs, bloggers, friends and fans! We’re raising money for Hawa’s residency at an Oakland gallery surveying and mediating contemporary Middle Eastern identity, art practice, thinking, and stories. Check out her Indiegogo for more information, the tumblr to ~submit your work~ to be included in the final show July 31st, and the event page if you want to attend open studios or closing parties.
“Mashallah,” an Arabic phrase of praise and protection, is the departure for photographer and writer, Hawa’s, journey for her July residency at B4BEL4ND Gallery in Oakland. She hopes to create a space from the collective imagination of Middle Eastern artists, thinkers, storytellers, and creators of all sorts. This platform will showcase original submissions of art, writing, photography, design, and personal essays from all over the world. Culminating in an underground party with DJs and live acts, we will celebrate this platform on screen alongside physical pieces at the gallery. This project was born out of a desire to gather and amplify the voices of the Middle Eastern diaspora, to challenge the depiction of Middle Eastern people in media post-911, and the commodification of Middle Eastern culture (script, veil, adornment).”
Dreams really do come true. At least, in the case of 7-year-old Emily Heaton, who is now a princess of her very own proclaimed territory. Jeremiah Heaton, Emily’s father, is the self-described king of an 800-square-mile desert patch that the Heaton family calls, the “Kingdom of North Sudan.”
A rich, white man travels to Africa and decides to claim a land that he never lived and been to, just so he can spoil his daughter by making her a “real” princess, and make himself even richer.
I really hope this plan backfires. Because there’s absolutely nothing cute about rich, white people claiming african soil for personal and selfish intent.
read this. and enough of that bull shit “it’s not like that anymore!” fuck allyall. white people are still convincing themselves that they discover land and claim it as theirs.
Airstrikes in Gaza | July 2014
1. An Israeli activist carries a placard during a protest against the war on the Gaza strip, in the Israeli city of Tel Aviv on July 9, 2014. (Ahmad Gharabli/AFP/Getty Images)
2. Smoke and flames are seen following an Israeli air strike in Rafah in the southern Gaza Strip on July 9, 2014. (Reuters)
3. Palestinian relatives mourn during the funeral of members of Hamad family in the town of Beit Hanoun in the northern Gaza Strip on July 9, 2014. (Mohammed Salem/Reuters)
4. Palestinians inspect the remains of a car which was hit in an Israeli air strike in Gaza City on July 9, 2014. (Ashraf Amrah/Reuters)
5. Relatives of eight Palestinian members from al-Haj family, who medics said were killed in an early morning air strike that destroyed at least two homes, mourn during their funeral in Khan Younis in the southern Gaza Strip on July 10, 2014. (Ibraheem Abu Mustafa/Reuters)
6. A picture taken in Gaza City on July 10, 2014 shows a damaged building after it was hit by an Israeli air strike. (Mohammed Abed/AFP/Getty Images)
7. A Palestinian woman runs carrying a girl following an Israeli air strike on a house in Gaza city on July 9, 2014. (Majdi Fathi/Reuters)
8. Two boys stand near damage caused by Israeli warplanes in Gaza on July 10, 2014. (Yasser Qudih/NurPhoto/Corbis)
9. Israelis watch as smoke rises after air strikes across the border in northern Gaza on July 8, 2014. (Amir Cohen/Reuters)
10. A Palestinian boy plays in the rubble of a destroyed house the day after an Israeli strike in the town of Beit Hanoun, northern Gaza Strip on July 9, 2014. (Khalil Hamra/AP)
GAZA UNDER ATTACK NOW.
important world update:
Gaza + Palestine are under attack by Israel, death toll currently at 27 :(
This has been a long and destructive period between Israel + Palestine. If anyone has any reliable sources to learn more about what’s going on at this current moment, please let me know
- The Guardian: Israel pounds Gaza with air and naval strikes in move against Hamas
- Al Jazeera: Israel steps up deadly Gaza Strip offensive; at least 27 dead, 130 wounded
- New York Times: Israel and Hamas Trade Attacks as Tension Rises
- RTE News: Israel launches major offensive against Hamas
- BBC: Israel ‘ready for escalation’ of Gaza conflict